One of the major applications of integration is to find the volumes of various solid figures.
Volume of Solids with Regular Cross-sections This is where to start with volume problems. After all, solids of revolution are just a special case of solids with regular cross-sections.
Visualizing Solid Figures
- Visualizing Solid Figures 1 Making models et al.
- Visualizing Solid Figures 2 Using Winplot to visualize solids with regular cross-sections.
- Visualizing Solid Figures 3 Using Winplot to visualize the Disk and Washer methods.
- Visualizing Solid Figures 4 Using Winplot to visualize finding volumes by cylindrical shells. While no problem on the AP Calculus exams will require a solution by the Cylindrical Shell method, students may use the method and be eligible for full credit. So this is “enrichment.”
- Challenge – the half-full problem comparing the disk and shell methods and Visualizing Solid Figures 5 the detailed solution